HuwsNursey talks about safety concerns with growing food in old tires.
- Growing food in plastic containers can leech harmful chemicals into the soil, which will then be absorbed into the food.
- There are similar concerns with growing food in tires.
- New York State Department of Environmental Conservation: leaching of chemicals from partially burned tires, not whole tires.
- The dark color absorbs more heat so in hot and tropical climates, paint the tires white. This will help stop the soil from baking.
- Organically grown vegetables in old tires may contain fewer chemicals than industrially grown food using pesticides.